Saturday, June 7, 2014

Because Sometimes We Need Reminding

It's a very quiet morning here on this mountaintop.  The only sound I hear is the sound of birds singing.

Al is on mission in Kentucky with some men from our church, and will return home later today.  Until then it's just me and Molly.  And she has gone back to bed!

This morning I poured my coffee, picked up my Bible, and settled into my comfy chair for my morning Bible reading.  I have been following a reading plan from the youversion.com Bible app on my phone.  I began with the "verse of the day".

Today's verse comes from 2 Timothy 3:16-17:  "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;  that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."

After I had read that verse, I checked to see what today's reading would be.  Yesterday I had finished the book of Ecclesiastes, so I was feeling pretty certain that meant I would begin Song of Solomon today.  And sure enough, four chapters of the dreaded Song of Solomon was the day's reading.  I groaned.

You see, I really don't like reading Song of Solomon.  If I'm going to be honest, I must confess that I hate reading Song of Solomon.  I can't understand its purpose.  I don't know why it's in there. 

Then I remembered the verse I began with.  All Scripture is inspired by God.  All Scripture is profitable.  All means all.  Even Song of Solomon. 

I had to stop right then and confess my attitude.  To thank God for sending me this reminder.  And to ask Him to help me understand what I'm supposed to be learning from reading this particular portion of Scripture!

Yesterday I had another reminder, one of a different sort.  We're still waiting for our house to sell, and I confess that my waiting is not always of the patient variety!  I'm still very much a work in progress as I am learning to wait.  Some days I'm a much better "waiter" than I am other days.  Yesterday was not one of my better days.  And then I read this Facebook status from one of my friends:

"If you are anxious or in a hurry to make something happen, then it is impossible to be waiting on God. His timing is perfect and He knows everything about everything. I think He can be trusted."  (Dr. Jill Branyon)

Thank you, Jill, for that reminder!  Thank You, God, for using Jill to deliver Your message to me yesterday.  Thank You for bringing it to my heart again this morning.

Lord, how I thank You for sending these much needed reminders to encourage me.  Thank You that You are continuing to teach me what it means to wait on You.  Thank You that Your timing is always perfect and I can trust You.  Thank You that You are working all things together, including the timing of selling this house,  for my good and Your glory.  I love You, Lord.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment