Monday, June 2, 2014

Asking the Wrong Question

When I visited the rheumatologist last week, he changed my medication.  As he was explaining the new medication and what I could expect from it, he said his office often gets calls from patients after they begin this particular drug regimen asking "why did you wait so long to give me this?"  And after just a few days, I can understand that question.  I, too, am asking "why did you wait so long?"

I once had a student in a 12th grade English class who need to make a grade of 90 or higher on his final exam in order to pass the course.  If he didn't score at least 90 on the exam, he would not pass 12th grade English and therefore would not graduate with his class.  He and I had a number of conversations about this in the weeks leading up to exam time, yet his effort in class never changed and he continued to just barely slide by.  I was so frustrated with this student!  But when he took his exam, his score was 98!  And then I was even more frustrated!  Why hadn't he studied like that all along? Why did he take so long to begin making an effort?

Did you ever stop to think that God might be asking the same question of us?  As we go through life without making any real effort to study His Word or to spend time with Him in prayer.  As we just "slide by".  I wonder if the Lord might like to say to us "what are you waiting for?" or "what took you so long?"

The reverse is also true.  Sometimes, as we're waiting for answers to a particular prayer or are waiting for God to intervene in a particular situation, we're wanting to ask Him that same question, aren't we?

What's taking so long?  What are You waiting for?

I was thinking about that this morning, particularly as it relates to waiting for our house to sell.  And I'll just go ahead and admit to you that I'm frustrated that it hasn't sold yet, frustrated that this process isn't moving along on my timetable.  But it occurs to me today that perhaps there's a reason for that.  One which I hadn't really considered before.

Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question.  Perhaps the question should not be what's taking so long, but perhaps the question should be what are You wanting to accomplish in me while we're waiting.

God's timing is always perfect.  His plan is always perfect.  And if I don't yet have an answer to the thing I'm praying about, there's a reason. 

I need to be asking a different question.

Beginning today, my question is not Why are You waiting so long? Or When are You going to sell this house?

Beginning today, my question is What are you wanting to teach me while I wait?

I don't know what your situation is.  I don't know what question you have been asking.  But perhaps today, you need to consider - as I did - that you've been asking the wrong question.

"For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure."  (Philippians 2:13 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment