Thursday, April 24, 2014

Sometimes Waiting Is Hard

If we're honest with ourselves - really honest - we will admit that we're impatient.  That we want what we want when we want it.  That waiting is hard.

Waiting for Christmas or an anniversary or a birthday.  Waiting for the coffee to brew.  Waiting for the water to boil.  Waiting for vacation.  Waiting for the income tax refund to arrive.  Waiting for the house to sell.

And there's the point of this post.  I'm hesitant to admit to you how impatient I am.  Hesitant to admit out loud - or in print - that there are days when I am really frustrated and anxious and stressed over this whole process.  There's a part of me that somehow feels I am dishonoring God if I admit my frustrations.  But does it not also dishonor Him if I pretend I don't have any frustrations? 

It has been our prayer since we listed the house, and even before that as we were preparing to list it, that it would sell in a way that brings honor and glory to God.  That He would get all the credit.  That it would not be about us or about the house or about the realtor, but all and only about God.

Here we are, a few weeks into the process with a still unsold house, and I have to admit to you that, in my mind, I had already figured out how God would answer that prayer.  I knew exactly how God would sell the house in a way that would bring Him glory.  In my mind, that meant that the very first day, or certainly within the first week, the house would sell at full price!  Well, obviously that didn't happen.  Which shows just how little I know about what God has planned for this house.

As I was praying about that this morning, God reminded me that He is in control.  That He knows what He is doing.  That the details of how this will be accomplished are not my job.  I'm reminded that I need to take my own advice. 

I need to remember.  I wrote about that here:  http://susanssittingroom.blogspot.com/2014/04/remember.html

I need to remember His words.

"For everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven......He has made everything beautiful in its time."  (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 11 ESV)

"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."  (Lamentations 3:22-23 ESV)

"And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us."  (1 John 5:14 ESV)

"And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 4:19 ESV)

That's just a sampling of the words I need to remember

I also to remember His faithfulness in the past.  Remember how He has supplied every need.  Remember how He has answered previous prayers.  You can read one example of His answer to my prayers here:  http://livingrealmag.com/2013/11/18/hannah-and-me/

Sometimes what I know and what I feel are two different things, and that's the struggle I've been having over the last couple of days.  But today is a new day.  Today I recommit myself to living in what I know to be true, whether or not it feels like it.  Today I recommit myself to praying not just for the sale of this house, but praying that it will sell in God's time, in a way that will honor Him, in a way that He and He alone gets the glory.  Will you pray with me?

And when that prayer is answered, and I am confident that it will be, all the glory will go to His great name!

"Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you."  (Matthew 7:7 AMP)



No comments:

Post a Comment