Thursday, April 3, 2014

It's Hard to Say Good-Bye

Yesterday was an emotional roller coaster.

On Tuesday, I had driven over to Pigeon Forge to meet up with my friend Jean for our semi-annual shopping spree.  Jean and I have been friends for almost 20 years.  Once upon a time, we lived in the same town in Florida, but now she lives in northern Alabama and I live in the mountains of North Carolina.  For several years now, we have met up a couple of times a year in Pigeon Forge.  It's always great fun.  Good food, shopping, and lots of laughter.  This year was particularly special because we didn't get together last fall.  A full year had passed since we had seen each other and had our "Pigeon Forge fix".  And, as usual, it was great fun!

But at the same time that Jean and I were enjoying catching up, my heart was also breaking because back in North Carolina, my oldest grand-dog Ballpark was not doing well at all.  It was becoming obvious that his time was short, and that it was time for Brandon and Stephanie to make a decision.  The appointment was made for yesterday afternoon, and it was time for them to say good-bye.  Ballpark was 14 years old; he had been part of the family for 12 of those years.  He was a great dog, and he'll be missed.

I held it together until I got back home. Then I had a good cry.  And somehow that helped.

Ballpark, 2000-2014
 
 
Goodbye, Ballpark.  You were loved.  I'm going to miss you.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment