Thursday, December 5, 2013

I Survived!

I've been a little off schedule this week, trying to get back to my regular routines following the holiday weekend.  The holiday, along with the horrid weather we had last week, put me a little off my "training" schedule.  Yesterday I laced up my walking shoes and went out to walk.  This time I made it to the top of the hill behind our house.  Yes, I actually survived walking up that hill!


Along the way I encountered some interesting tracks.  Reminders of the critters who also call this mountain home.  Fortunately, I only saw their tracks.  No critter encounters yesterday!

 


I'll need to walk up that hill many more times in the next few weeks before I'll feel ready for our trip to Israel.  But that will have to wait for another day.

This afternoon I'm resting.  I spent the morning in the dentist's office today, having a root canal because I had an abcess in the root of one of my teeth.  The good news is......I survived!  After all the horror stories about root canals that I had heard over the years, I was really not looking forward to this.  But it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.  It took the dentist longer than he had anticipated, because it turns out that I have an extra nerve in my tooth.  Lucky me!  I have decided that the three worst things about a root canal are: 1) the sound......I hate the sound of dentist's drills; 2) having to hold your mouth open for so long; and 3) that little rubber sheet they put over your mouth.  I'm sure that little rubber sheet has a name, but I don't know what it is.  It was a little green rubber sheet with a hole in the middle for the dentist to see the tooth.  Everything else was covered up.  And it wasn't so bad in the beginning.  But after a while, after it had been on there a while and had gotten wet, it was really annoying!

But, I survived!  And I fervently hope never to have another root canal.

Steep hills and root canals are just a few of the challenges we face in life.  And certainly many people face far more daunting challenges than these.

But I think the secret to surviving is the same, whether the challenge is big or small.  It's what got me through the root canal.  What has gotten me through some far more difficult things in life.  What keeps me going day by day.

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee."  (Isaiah 26:3 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment