Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas with Jesus - Remembering Don Davis

My heart is heavy as I write this post. 

A dear friend, our pastor during earlier years of our marriage, went home to the Lord on Tuesday.  I rejoice that he is with the Lord, that he is no longer suffering.

Yet I grieve for those who are left behind.  My heart breaks for his dear wife Marie, for his daughter Allison, for her husband Stuart and her daughter Ashley.  I grieve with all of us who knew and loved Don, who were blessed by his ministry.

Since I learned of Don's passing, my heart and mind have been flooded with memories, with all kinds of random thoughts about the years he was part of our lives.

I remember a plaid suit he used to wear back in the late 70s/early 80s.  I always thought that suit looked like a blanket!  That memory makes me smile.

In the early years of our church, when we were over in the Line Street building,  Don's chair on the platform was right next to the piano.  In those days, Cindy and I would play organ/piano duets for the offertory each Sunday.  Often Don would hum along as we played.  I doubt anyone but me could hear him.  Sometimes he would tap his fingers on the arm of his chair in time with the music.  And sometimes, when we played something he particularly enjoyed, I would get a little nod of approval when we finished.  Remembering that makes me smile.

Don came to Trinity shortly after the birth of our first child.  He baptized both our sons.  I loved how he loved my boys.  In more recent years, when we would be back visiting in South Carolina, he always asked about them and was interested in all the details of their lives - where they were living, what they were doing.  I loved that about him.

I loved how he loved my parents.  How he always inquired after them for all the years of their lives.  How he was always interested in how Al's parents were doing.

Don was such a kind and compassionate man.  He truly had a pastor's heart, a love for his people.  I have always thought of him as a shepherd caring for his sheep.  I loved that about him.

My friend Cindy used to say that it was worth being sick and in the hospital just to have Don come visit you!  As I recall his visits to me pre- and post-surgery, I think she was right.  His comforting presence there in that hospital room went a long way toward making me feel better.  I loved that about him.

I have so many fond memories.  Memories of New Year's Eve parties with Don and Marie and other couples from our church.  Of staff parties at Christmastime which Don and Marie hosted in their home.  Of sitting on the hearth in front of the fire with Cindy at those parties, because we were always cold.

Years of memories.  My heart overflows as I remember Don.  His kindness and compassion.  His smile.  Hearing him pray.  Listening to him preach.  Hugs when we would come back home to visit.  His love for people.  His love for the Lord.

Don has left us now.  This year he is spending Christmas with Jesus.  Already we miss him so much.  But we rejoice in knowing that he is now in the presence of the One he loved so much and served so faithfully and so well during his time here on earth.  I can only imagine the joy he is now experiencing!

Those of us who are left behind are grieving.  We grieve with and for Marie and Allison and Stuart and Ashley.  We feel a hole in our hearts now that Don is gone.

We will miss him.  We hold tightly to the memories of this dear man we loved so much.  We grieve.

But we do not grieve "as those who have no hope.  For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, [we also believe] that through Jesus God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.  For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will not precede those who have fallen asleep.  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.  Therefore [we] comfort one another with these words.  (1 Thessalonians 4:14-18 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment