Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Happy National Bookmobile Day!

I just learned that this is National Bookmobile Day.  I didn't know there was such a day!  Having learned that there is, my mind has traveled back to my childhood.  To the bookmobile that parked at the end of our street.  What memories!

We didn't have a library in our town then.  That came later.  But the bookmobile came on a regular basis, although I confess I don't remember how often.  But I do remember my delight at climbing the steps into that rolling library.  I remember the smells.  The books.  My joy at selecting the ones I wanted to take home and read over and over again until the bookmobile returned.  Then the process was repeated.

Later a library opened in town......a branch of the Spartanburg County Library.  What excitement that was!  To be able to go the library twice a week instead of having to wait for the bookmobile to come! 

A lot has changed since then.  Now there is a library open daily, with lots of books and magazines.  Even computers!

Life was simpler back then.  We weren't bombarded by 24-hour news cycles replaying over and over the trauma we would wish to forget.  We didn't have 24-hour anything on television.  In fact, many people didn't even have television!  Life was simpler.  Those were the "good old days"!

And while I would not wish to go back, I confess there are days when I miss the simplicity of life back then.  The innocence of life then.  Before we knew about IEDs and ricin and terrorism.  When we left the windows open and the doors unlocked.  And looked forward to a visit from the bookmobile.

"When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul."  (Psalm 94:19 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment