Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Are You Willing?

On Sunday afternoon Al and I sat in front of the television and "attended" the funeral of much-beloved gospel singer George Beverly Shea who left this world last Tuesday at the age of 104.

I don't remember when I first heard that voice.  I do remember the first time I heard him in person, as a young girl attending a Billy Graham Crusade in nearby Greenville, South Carolina with a number of people from our church.  Over the years that voice blessed me many times, whether I heard him in person, or over radio or television, or on a record or a video.

What a blessing Mr. Bev was to so many around the world.  Whether singing words he had written himself......"I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold......" or "The wonder of wonders that thrills my soul is the wonder that God loves me.....", or singing words written by others, God used George Beverly Shea in mighty ways to shine the light of Jesus around the world.

As I was having my devotional time this morning, it occurred to me that Mr. Bev is a wonderful example of living out the instruction I read in Romans 12:1:  "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."  (ESV)  Mr. Bev spent a lifetime presenting himself, offering himself to God, to be used for God's glory.

What about you and me?  Are we offering ourselves completely to God for his glory? 

Or are we making excuses? 

Excuses like I don't sing as well as she does. Or he's a better writer than I am.  Or everything always goes so well for her, but nothing ever works out that way for me.  Or people just like him better, so I'll just bow out of the way.  Or any other variation of that theme.

The fact of the matter is that we aren't all alike.  We haven't all been given the exact same talents or abilities.  We aren't all given the exact same opportunities.  We don't all have the same personalities.  And that really isn't the point anyway, is it?

If you remember the parable of the talents in Matthew 25, you'll see the principle.  We aren't all given the same thing.  (And talents in this passage is not about talents like singing or playing an instrument; a talent was a monetary unit.)  Each of the men in this parable was given a different amount.  Just as you and I are given different abilities and in differing degrees.  The point is to use what we have been given.  Not to make excuses.  Or to make comparisons.  The point is to just do it!  To "present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."

That's certainly what George Beverly Shea did.  He committed his God-given talent as a living sacrifice, his spiritual worship, to be used for God's glory and His alone.  And I am confident that when he met his Savior face to face last week, he heard the words "Well done, good and faithful servant."

God used George Beverly Shea in mighty ways for His glory.  And I believe He wants to use you and me as well.  Are you willing?

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mericies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  (Romans 12:1-2 ESV)


Master, Thou callest, I gladly obey;
Only direct me, and I'll find Thy way.
Teach me the mission appointed for me,
What is my labor, and where it shall be.

Master, Thou callest, and this I reply,
"Ready and willing,
Lord, here am I."
(Fanny Crosby)














No comments:

Post a Comment