Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Day In Between

We're doing Christmas in shifts this year.  Since work schedules conspired against us all being together at the same time, the Greensboro Feasters came last week and left this morning, and the Florida Feasters will arrive tomorrow.  I love that Christmas goes on and on around here.....that I have an excuse (as if I actually needed one!) for leaving decorations up and listening to Christmas music.  I don't love that we didn't get to all be together for our Christmas celebration, and I'm still trying to figure out a way to make that happen, if only for a few hours.

Our celebration got off to an interesting start last week as the weather was deteriorating on the day the Greensboro Feasters arrived.  We actually had a little snow and a lot of wind the next day, and our power even was out for several hours on Friday night.  Of course AJ slept right through that! 

The Greensboro Feasters had pretty bad colds, so lots of tissues and Lysol were part of our festivities.  On Sunday morning, we didn't take our germs to church, but gathered around the computer and participated in our church's morning service via internet.  I'm really thankful for that on-line streaming of the church service!  Not quite the same as being there in person, but I loved having the opportunity to participate in the service while I was still in my jammies!!

On Christmas morning we were all surprised that AJ was the last to wake up!  For Christmas breakfast I tried a couple of ideas I found on Pinterest....a breakfast casserole in the crock pot that made way too much for the 5 of us, and I made cinnamon rolls (Pillsbury!!) in the shape of a Christmas tree.  Al fried a turkey for Christmas dinner using our new turkey fryer.....Merry Christmas to us!......and it was delicious!

Today there will be no after-Christmas shopping, except for a few groceries, since I don't need anything anyway, and besides it's just too cold!  I'm doing laundry and decluttering a little for the next round of Feasters coming tomorrow.  And I have an eye doctor appointment that was rescheduled from last Friday when it was snowing and I couldn't get down off this mountain.

The weatherman says we may get more snow today.  It sure feels cold enough!  Christopher has put in an order for some snow while he's here, so I hope there will be at least a little bit......but not until after they are all safely here.  Getting up and down our mountain road in snow can be a bit of a challenge.

Today as I'm going about my tasks, it's good to have a little bit of quiet time to reflect on Christmas.  On the reason we do all this in the first place.  On the joy of giving gifts to those we love.  And on the joy of receiving that greatest of all Gifts!  Jesus!  What could possibly be better than that!

"Thanks be to God for His inexpressible gift!"  (2 Corinthians 9:15 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment