Monday, December 10, 2012

First Reflections

Since we returned from Israel a few days ago, many people have asked things like "what was your favorite part of the trip?" or "what impressed you most?" or other similar questions.  And, quite frankly, I'm having a hard time answering those questions.  Not because it wasn't a wonderful, absolutely glorious experience.  It was!  And I think that's the issue.  Because it was an amazing, glorious, awesome experience, it's difficult to give a quick, spur-of-the-moment answer to questions like that.

So, today, as I'm beginning to (slowly) find my way out of the fog of jeg-lag, I'll share a few reflections about the trip.  There will be much more to come, I'm sure, as I continue to reflect on the experience of walking where Jesus walked.  But for today, just a few thoughts.

First, for those of you who were so very concerned about my safety, I did not hear a single gunshot or missle being fired!  I was not bombed!  I felt quite safe actually.  Probably safer than I feel many places in this country, to be quite honest. 

Israel is a beautiful country with beautiful people and delicious food!!  I ate SO much good food while I was there......including cheesecake for breakfast!!  YUM!!  Don't you love a country that serves cheesecake for breakfast!!  And in spite of that, I lost about 15 pounds.  Probably due to walking in excess of 50 miles while we were there.

If I had to point to one single day that was my absolute favorite, it would be our last full day in Jerusalem.  On that day, we walked the passion of our Lord Christ.......from the Garden of Gethsemane, where we had devotions and time for personal prayer and reflection......to the place where Peter denied Christ........walking the present-day Via Dolorosa......pausing for lunch in the Old City.......and then ending our day at the Garden Tomb, culminating that experience with communion in the Garden.  I have no words to adequately describe that day.  Along the way we sang verses of "Were You There?".  Singing "were you there when He rose up from the grave?" there at the Garden Tomb was definitely a high point of the entire trip.

Today as I'm trying to get back into normal routines, to finish unpacking, to catch up laundry, my heart overflows  with gratitude for these two amazing weeks in Israel.  And as the "fog" lifts, I'll have much more to share :)

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits."  (Psalm 103:1-2 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment