Monday, December 17, 2012

Looking for Answers

Like most Americans, I am still shocked and saddened by the events that took place in Newtown, CT on Friday.  And I confess that I am also shocked and saddened by many of the responses to these events.

Responses like.....if police had acted differently, this whole thing would not have happened.  A response I find ludicrous, by the way.  And further, I don't think this is the time for finger-pointing.

Responses like......if we had more gun laws, this wouldn't have happened.  Or if all guns were illegal, this wouldn't have happened.  Tell me how that's working with illegal drugs.  As far as I know, that's still a problem in this country.  Or last time I checked, it's illegal to hijack an airplane and fly it into a building to murder thousands of people, but that didn't stop such a thing from happening.

I'm saddened by the way news media in this country exploit events like this for ratings or for some other even less noble reason.  I really think if I were a parent or grandparent who had just lost someone so precious to me, I would prefer to grieve without having a microphone or camera constantly in my face.

And I'm saddened, although not surprised, by the vitriol aimed at those, myself included, who believe that the far deeper issue here is not about guns or gun control, or about mental health, or about whether there is or isn't prayer in school.  This tragic event is at its very core, I believe, yet another indication of how much our culture has changed.

Millions, perhaps billions, of dollars are spent by Hollywood (and others) to produce movies, video games, music videos, and television shows which glorify violence, and then we are surprised when our society becomes more violent.

In the name of "tolerance" we accept as "normal" every kind of perversion, yet refuse to "tolerate" any mention of God in the public arena.  It's no longer "politically correct" to say Merry Christmas, or God Bless You, or to have nativity scenes at Christmas in the town square, or to sing "Christmas Carols" at school "holiday" programs.  Etc. Etc. Etc.

And if that isn't the case in your particular town or school, that's wonderful.  But more and more it is the norm in our culture.  And that makes me sad.

The America I grew up in was not perfect.  But it was a wonderful and safe place to grow up.  We didn't have school shootings.  We didn't need armed guards in our schools.  We didn't even lock the door!

There are many who say that I and others who think as I do are out of touch.  Old-fashioned.  Dangerous fanatics.  Delusional.  All sorts of labels are being thrown around these days.

Call me what you will.  Think of me what you will.  Un-friend me from your Facebook page.  Stop following on Twitter.  Whatever.  But if you disagree, please realize that I respect your right to have an opinion that differs from mine.  Perhaps you will grant me the same respect.

Life is full of consequences.  And full of principles that are unalterable.  Like sowing and reaping.  In a society that no longer has value for human life, as evidenced by the murder of millions of unborn babies each year, and as evidenced by the way we glorify violence and murder in our entertainment, why are we surprised when violence spills over into daily life? 

Today we grieve the loss of so many precious people in Connecticut.  We pray for that community and for the families who lost loved ones.  Today will you also join me in grieving the state of our nation?  And in praying not only for the people of Newtown, but for our great nation as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment