Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Jet Lag

One of the down sides to international travel is that foggy state we know as "jet lag."  And since my return from two weeks in Israel, I am surrounded by that fog!

The trip over to Israel didn't give me any problems.  I slept some on the plane going over.  We arrived in Tel Aviv just before dinner time, so we freshened up a bit and had our dinner.  Then, due to being very tired and also to taking a couple of Tylenol PM, I slept very well our first night there and adjusted quite well to our new time zone.

Things haven't gone quite so smoothly on the return home!  When we arrived home late Friday night, after having been up for nearly 48 hours, I had a quick shower and slept soundly for about 12 hours.  Since then, however, I'm really out of sync!  I'm awake when I should be asleep, and I have trouble not sleeping when I should be awake!  Monday night was the closest to "normal" since I've been home.  I went to bed at pretty close to my usual bedtime, and only woke up once during the night.  Although I was awake earlier yesterday than is customary for me, I was hopeful that meant I was getting back to a regular routine.  Then last night I struggled - and I do mean struggled - to stay awake past 8 pm!!  Will this ever end??!!

And it isn't just the staying awake/going to sleep that's the problem.  There's the "fog".  The "I can't remember what I was doing". (Well, I have that sometimes under normal circumstances......but this is worse!!) There's thinking it's time for lunch when it's only 9 AM!  And other stuff like that.  If you've ever had surgery and can remember what it's like when you first come out of your anaesthesia-induced sleep, it's sort of like that.  I read somewhere that it takes a day for each time zone you cross, so if that's true then I should be back to normal by the end of the week!  (Whatever "normal" is!!!)

I know that this will get better as the week goes along.  I did manage to stay in bed this morning past 6.  I was awake, but I wouldn't let myself get up.  There's still lots to do around here to get back to normal......finishing the laundry, getting everything put away, finishing the Christmas decorating......so maybe if I stay busy all day, that will help.  I sure hope so!  I'm really ready for this to be over!!

But as much as I'm whining about the jet lag, it's so worth it to have had the experiences we had over the last couple of weeks!  Not fun, but worth it!

"In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."          (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment