Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Morning After

It's a beautiful morning on our mountain.  A light breeze is blowing.  The sun is shining.

Last night, however, was a completely different story.  As we settled in our comfy chairs to watch Jeopardy, we noticed a weather warning scrolling across the TV screen.  Tornado watch.  Severe thunderstorm warning.  We noticed that the wind was starting to howl.  Then the furniture on the porch started "relocating".  And then all that intensified, so we decided to head for the basement.

Molly was actually the first down the stairs!  She hates storms!

From that "down under" perspective, the sound of the furniture moving around on the porch was really creepy!  The wind howled.  Torrents of rain fell.  The folded-up folding chairs were unfolded by the wind.  The unfolded folding chairs were folded up!  A table was turned upside down.  Rainwater came under the basement garage door, which has never happened in all the years we have lived here.  All that lasted for about an hour.

This morning, things are back to "normal".  The furniture has been returned to its proper place.  Except for all the twigs and branches on the ground, you would never know a storm had passed through.  I can't see any damage, except for a broken wind chime on the carport.  And for that, I am most thankful.

Last night was one of those occasions which make me so very thankful for parents and teachers who encouraged me to memorize Scripture when I was a little girl.  I'm thankful I can call those verses to mind.  Verses like Psalm 56:3:  "What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee."

As I was drifting off to sleep last night, the verses of an old gospel hymn came to mind as well.......
" 'Til the storm passes over,
'til the thunder sounds no more,
'Til the clouds roll forever from the skies.
Hold me fast, let me stand,
In the hollow of Your hand.
Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by."
(-Mosie Lister)

No comments:

Post a Comment