Friday, March 2, 2012

Why Me?

Have you ever uttered those words?  Ever heard someone else say them?  Probably so.  And more than likely, the context was negative.  As in, why is this _______ (fill in the blank with whatever horrible thing you can think of!!) happening to me?  Or as in, what did I do to deserve this?

But have you ever asked that question in a postive sense?  As in, what did I ever do to deserve this good thing?  As in, why am I so blessed?

I've been wondering that this morning.  I have just received news of yet another friend who is dealing with bad health news.  We have a number of friends who are dealing with health crises of one sort or another right now.  And friends of friends who are facing some tough stuff.  Relatives and relatives of friends who are facing difficulties.....health issues, job problems, financial stress.  There's a lot of really bad stuff out there happening to people we care about a lot.

And in the middle of it all, Al and I are asking ourselves this morning.....why are we so blessed?  What have we ever done to deserve all the goodness God has heaped on us?    Why is this stuff happening to other people and not to us?

Please don't misunderstand me.  I am beyond grateful that we personally are not having to deal with some of the really hard stuff that many people are dealing with!  I am well aware that we are blessed beyond measure.  And not just in material ways.  There are many people who have much more in measurable, material things than we do.  And many, many more who have less.  So, while I am grateful for the financial resources and the "stuff" that we have, I'm not just talking about that.

I'm also talking about the blessings of good health, for example.  Sure, we're beginning to show our age.  There are some of those age-related things like creaky knees and achy bones and stuff like that.  But we are blessed to be pretty healthy.  And I am so very thankful.

We have the blessing of a wonderful relationship with each other.  After nearly 40 years of marriage, we not only still love each other, we still like each other!!  And we enjoy spending time together!

I don't understand it.  But I know that I am blessed beyond what I can even comprehend.  Not because I deserve it.  In spite of the fact that I don't!  In spite of myself!

Why me?  And why are other dear, Godly people not as blessed?  Why do many ungodly prosper?  And many Godly people suffer?  I don't know.  I have no answers for those questions.  But this I do know.  I know that God is in control.  I know that He has a plan and a purpose.  I know that His way is perfect.  I know that He is working all things together for the good of those who love Him.....not that things will always be good, but that things will work out for the good...and that good is that we be conformed to the image of His Son (Romans 8:28-29.......don't ever stop at verse 28; you must read on to verse 29!!).

Above all....."I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth."  (Job 19:25 NASB).

And until then.....no matter what.....in good times and in bad......"since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  (Hebrews 12:1-2  NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment