Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Reflections

I'm sitting here watching the fog roll in, surrounding our house so that I can barely see the trees just in front of the window. Fog tends to make me feel a little dreary, a little despondent......and that's easy to do these days, with all the economic gloom and doom, watching the stock market decline, wondering what will happen next and where we go from here. But as I reflect on that, I'm reminded of a line from a Robert Browning poem....."God's in his heaven, all's right with the world." And as I reflect on that thought, several Scriptures come to mind that lift my spirits considerably!



"Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever, for wisdom and power belong to Him. And it is He who changes the times and epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings." (Daniel 2:20-21)



"The Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind." (Daniel 4:17)



"His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom endures from generation to generation. And all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, 'What hast Thou done'?" (Daniel 4:35)



"Thou, O Lord, art a shield about me, my glory and the One who lifts my head. I cried unto the Lord with my voice and He answered me from His holy mountain. I lay down and slept and awoke, for the Lord sustains me. I will not be afraid." (Psalm 3:3-4)



"I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage. Yes, wait for the Lord." (Psalm 27:13-14)



No matter what is going on in the world around us, God is in control. What an encouragement that is, especially on this very dreary day!

No comments:

Post a Comment