Monday, December 2, 2019

When Hearts Are Heavy

You may be an early riser, whether by choice, just because you enjoy the early morning hours. or because you're forced into it by your job. I'm not usually one of those people. But this morning I was awake quite early. And I was awake for quite a while before I was able to get back to sleep.

During my early morning wakefulness I had a wonderful time talking to the Lord. I have some things really weighing on me and my heart is heavy, burdened for some people I care for deeply. Perhaps that's what woke me up.

I have a sense that I'm not the only one who is burdened. Many have heavy hearts because people we care about are in a bad place. Health issues. Bad decisions. Drifting away from God. Relationships.

Because we care so much, the hurt runs deep indeed. Sometimes, as was the case for me in the wee hours, it keeps us awake. We don't know what to say or what to think or how to respond. We're sometimes not even sure what we should be praying for.

In those times, when our hearts are heavy, we "cast all our anxiety on him, because he cares for [us]." (1 Peter 5:7 ESV).

In those times, we "cease striving, and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10 NASB)

In those times, we trust. "Trust in him at all times, O people." (Psalm 62:8 ESV)

In those times, we turn to God in prayer. "Pour out your heart before him." (Psalm 62:8 ESV)

Where else could we turn? "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed and have come to know that you are the Holy One of God." (John 6:68 ESV)

"For God alone my soul waits in silence; He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken."  (Psalm 62:1-2 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment