Friday, December 13, 2019

Favorite Christmas Musical Memories

This evening I will join our church choir to present Songs of the Season. I long ago lost count of how many Christmas musical presentations I have been a part of. As a child and as an adult. As accompanist or choir member or director. Everything from Handel's Messiah to a children's musical called Three Wise Men and a Baby! In choir robes, and in costumes. In formal attire, and in Christmas sweaters. I have had quite a variety of experiences!

Music is an important part of my Christmas celebrations. It's an important part of my life. All those Christmas musicals take up a lot of space in my memory bank. Some because of the music itself. Perhaps it was particularly challenging to play or to sing or to direct. Or perhaps it was particularly beautiful music.

And some Christmas musicals are memorable because of where we lived at the time. Because of the season of life we were in. Because of who we were singing with. Those musicals evoke special memories of special people.

But it's the lyrics that I find myself drawn to over and over again. It's the lyrics that are my favorite memories. It's the lyrics that lead me to remember what Christmas is all about. It's the lyrics that lead me to worship.

Some of those lyrics are especially memorable.

Like this line from A Christmas Invitation, which I directed more than 20 years ago....."The road to Bethlehem is a journey of the heart. The road to Bethlehem beckons 'Come, just as you are.' Leave your doubts and fears behind, for in following then you will find that's where faith begins, the road to Bethlehem."

Or there's this line from How Do You Welcome a King?......."And that's how we welcome the King; with ev'ry gift that we give and ev'ry song that we sing. And a heart full of praise is the present we bring. Yes, that's how we welcome the King."

For forty years, this lyric from Heaven Rejoices has lived in my head: "What gift can we bring to the richest of Kings, who walks on the gold streets of glory? Our lives we will give, every day that we live, and we'll be like wise men, adoring."

And for even longer, this has been - and continues to be - one of my most favorite songs from one of my most favorite Christmas musicals of all time, King of Love.

Wonderful Name

Mary was the first to hear it, name that came from heaven above;
Name that raises souls from darkness, this the only name worth singing of.

Wonderful name, Jesus! Wonderful name, Jesus!
Name angels sang the night all heaven rang; wonderful name, Jesus!


Heaven touched His name with glory, precious name of Jesus, our King;
In God’s Word is told the story, of this wondrous name the angels sing!
 
Wonderful name, Jesus!  Wonderful name, Jesus!
Name angels sang the night all heaven rang; wonderful name, Jesus!
 
(-Roger Strader)
 

You can listen here:  https://youtu.be/R7OUyiAzbn8

No comments:

Post a Comment