Tuesday, December 3, 2019

The Reason For The Season

Now that the calendar says it's December, I guess it's officially OK to listen to Christmas music. I've heard a lot of complaining about Christmas music being played or sung prior to Thanksgiving, and I have to confess that I don't really understand that. From the perspective that Thanksgiving is becoming the forgotten holiday and that retailers jump into Christmas advertising right after Labor Day, I'll accept the complaining......at least a little bit.

But for me, Christmas music transcends the season. I can gladly listen to it and sing it year-round. It's a bit sad to me that this wonderful music which tells so much of the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place, that gives us so many wonderful lyrics about the redemption story, is relegated to just a few weeks in December.

I was recently asked about my favorite Christmas carol. I had a hard time answering that question. Not because I don't have a favorite. Because I have so many favorites!!

I love "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night". I love the music. I love the way the music suits the lyrics perfectly. I love how these songs evoke mental images of the events of that special night so long ago.

I love "Joy to the World"! Just the title makes me smile. JOY!!!!

Perhaps my absolute favorite is "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing". I think I must have loved this carol all my life. I can remember singing it as a little girl. (And I've been told that, in my early childhood, I rewrote the lyrics a little. Instead of "with th' angelic host proclaim", I sang "with the jelly host proclaim"!) I have come to love this carol more and more over the years, particularly for its lyrics. The entire reason for Christmas, the reason Christ came to earth, is encapsulated in one line - God and sinners reconciled.

That's the reason for the season!

"Hark! the herald angels sing, 'Glory to the newborn King;
Peace on earth, and mercy mild, God and sinners reconciled.'
Joyful, all ye nations, rise, Join the triumph of the skies;
With th'angelic host proclaim, 'Christ is born in Bethlehem.'
Hark! the herald angels sing,'Glory to the newborn King.'
 
Christ, by highest heaven adored; Christ, the everlasting Lord;
Late in time behold Him come, offspring of the Virgin's womb;
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see; Hail th'incarnate Deity,
Pleased as man with men to dwell, Jesus, our Emmanuel.
Hark! the herald angels sing,'Glory to the newborn King.'
 
Hail, the heav'n-born Prince of Peace! Hail, the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings, Ris'n with healing in His wings.
Mild He lays His glory by, Born that man no more may die,
Born to raise the sons of earth, Born to give them second birth.
Hark! the herald angels sing, 'Glory to the newborn King.'"
 
(Words:  Charles Wesley; Music:  Felix Mendelssohn)


Listen to Hark, The Herald Angels Sing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_iLXNSIaYc



No comments:

Post a Comment