Thursday, November 1, 2018

In Everything

"In everything give thanks."  (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NASB)


Welcome to November! It's the season when people suddenly remember to be thankful. Across social media, people will be listing things they are thankful for. These are the same people who spend the other eleven months of the year whining and complaining!
But today's verse is very specific. Not just for November, but for every day of the year. In everything, on every day. Not just in November.

In everything. In all things. However, you want to phrase it...

No exceptions.  There are none of those phrases we want to add to the end of the verse.

It doesn't say  in everything except.......

Except cancer. Or a stroke. Or some other illness.

Except when I lose my job.

Except when I run out of money.

Except politicians. Or when I don't like election results.

Except when my friend or my spouse or my son or my daughter or my best friend hurts my feelings.

Except any of the other things you might be able to think of. There are no clarifying phrases at the end of that sentence.

In everything.

Everything means everything.

It's pretty clear.

Note that the verse doesn't say anything about feeling thankful. This is not about an emotional response to circumstances. The verse says to give thanks. That involves the will. A deliberate choice to give thanks, not because I feel like it but in spite of the fact that sometimes I don't.

Give thanks. In everything.

Today might be a good day to start.




"In everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."                           (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment