Wednesday, October 31, 2018

A New Attitude.

Today is the last day of October, and for many that means thoughts of pumpkins and trick-or-treating and other similar pursuits. For me, it is a reminder that November is just around the corner, and November brings thoughts of the day life changed from "normal" to "not".


Two years ago, on November 16, I had a hemorrhagic stroke. That was followed by months of therapy. When I was discharged from therapy, I was told by my doctors and therapists that I would continue to improve. I confess, I didn't believe them, but I was wrong.


I have continued making steady progress, improving day by day, across all these months. People sometimes ask if I am 100% yet, and my answer is still no. And I may never be 100% of what I once was. There are still things I can't do, and things I struggle with. But I am so much better than I ever thought I would be. And I continue to improve, even now, almost two years later.


For all the months since the stroke, I always thought of myself as "the girl who had a stroke" or as a person in stroke recovery. But my attitude has changed. I am no longer "the girl who had the stroke". I am not a stroke victim.


I have a new attitude.


I am a stroke survivor!


And it is all because of God's amazing grace!


"Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens." Psalm 68:19 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment