Friday, November 2, 2018

Cobwebs and Dust Bunnies

There have been times in my life when I was energetic about household tasks. Like dusting, for example. Times when I would get my dust cloth and furniture polish, all the necessary tools for thorough cleaning, and go after those dust bunnies and cobwebs with a vengeance!

Some times. not so much! I always want things to be clean. I just don't always want to spend my energy to make it happen. And so, on those days, I would make a half-hearted effort - a "lick and a promise", as folks used to say, and end up with a half-way result. A half-clean house.

In the interest of full disclosure, I no longer do the house cleaning. In this season of my life, I have someone who does that for me, and she does an excellent job. But that isn't my point. As I have been thinking about it today, it has occurred to me that there may be many of us who are the same as I was. Who often take a half-way approach to house cleaning. And there may be even more of us who often take that same half-way approach in our relationship with the Lord.

We think that an hour - maybe two - on a Sunday morning is enough for God, and that the rest of the week belongs to us to do with as we please. We don't believe that we need those mid-week services or those small group studies. Those are for the fanatics or for people who really need some extra help.

We think that a quick devotional paragraph or two - if we have time - is adequate. We are not willing to dig any deeper, to actually make an effort to study the Bible or to memorize Scripture ("Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee." - Psalm 119:11) or to actually apply it. That's for the fanatics and the super saints. Not for regular people.

And what about sin? We all have sin in our lives that needs dealing with. Gasp! Yes, we do. This means you! And me! And dealing with it is more than just a quick "forgive my sins" and then going on about my business. That's the half-hearted approach. Dealing with sin requires confession. Being specific. Confession means calling it what it is. Confession means agreeing with God about what is sin. And then "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).

When it comes to sin, it's His opinion that matters. Not yours. Or mine. Or your sister's. Or the neighbors. Or the celebrity on TV. And knowing His opinion would require actually spending time with Him. In Bible reading. In Bible study. In prayer.

Something to think about.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way." 
(Psalm 139:23 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment