Thursday, March 22, 2018

Joy Unspeakable

Once again I have a song lyric running through my head. It actually happens to me pretty often, but in this case it's a little baffling. I haven't heard this song for years, and I can't even remember when, if ever, it was actually sung in a church service I was part of. Yet I can't get it out of my head! Joy unspeakable and full of glory, the half has never yet been told.


A couple of mornings ago we were fogged in around here. Literally. Surrounded by fog. By early afternoon the fog had lifted. By midday, all the clouds had lifted and we had beautiful sunshine! Beautiful sunshine, but oh, so cold. What happened to spring? But I digress. The fog was what triggered this song memory. Heavy fog, leading to glorious sunshine.


Life is a lot like that, isn't it? We spend much of our life "in a fog", at least spiritually speaking. Even when we have trusted Jesus early in life, we don't really comprehend all that means. Our understanding grows as we do, in the physical sense, but also in the spiritual sense. And as we grow, the fog begins to lift and we see things more clearly. Continuing to grow in our faith means we see more and more clearly. Now we see things as through a mirror, dimly, as the Apostle Paul described it in 1 Corinthians 13. Eventually we shall see clearly, shall see Jesus face to face. And that will indeed be "joy unspeakable and full of glory"!


But we don't have to wait until then to experience that kind of joy! We can live that kind of joy every day in the here and now. That kind of joy comes when we know that our eternity is secure, but also comes because we live every moment of every day in confident assurance that our God is in control.  When we see everything that comes our way as coming from His hand for our good and for His glory. When we live with grateful hearts for all the gifts He gives, both large and small. When we know that we know that we know that we belong to Him. That knowledge, that settled certainty, that no matter what comes my way, I belong to Him.......that brings a life of joy!


Yes, tough times come. I've been right in the middle of some of those tough times over the last few days. And perhaps that's why the old hymn has come to mind. It's a reminder from God not to give up. That He is in control. A reminder not to let the tough times rob my joy! Yet another reminder came to me in my quiet time this morning as I read these words: "[Jesus prayed], But now I am coming to you and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves."  (John 17:13 ESV)


Joy unspeakable. Not because of circumstances. Often in spite of circumstances. But isn't that what joy is, really? Joy is not dependent on circumstances. Joy comes from a relationship with Jesus. Joy is not an external thing; it is internal. Happy times, grace gifts, tangible blessings......those are just a bonus! Joy is in the relationship. And it is joy unspeakable and full of glory!



"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy he caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuiness of your faith - more precious than gold that is tested by fire - may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."  (1 Peter 1:3-7 ESV, emphasis mine)


And just in case you aren't familiar with the old hymn I mentioned at the outset, here it is. This hymn was written by Barney Warren way back in 1900.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KskwIKSHqzk

No comments:

Post a Comment