Monday, March 5, 2018

Happy Birthday!

Today is a special day! Today I am celebrating! On this day, 43 years ago, I became a mother. At 6:17 pm, just 47 minutes after I walked through the doors at Baptist Hospital in Columbia, I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. Three years later it happened again. Same hospital. Another beautiful baby boy. And once again, doorway to delivery, 47 minutes! 

I'm not celebrating because delivery was short. And pretty easy. Although those of you who have been down that road will realize that 47 minutes.....not with one birth, but two.....is pretty unusual and worthy of celebration!

But if you know me well, or if you have been reading this blog for any period of time, then you will realize how special it is. How deserving of celebration. Now, don't misunderstand. All births are deserving of celebration. 

But back when this first-born child of ours was only a dream in our hearts, our dreams were shattered when we were told by doctors that we could never have children. 

So today, I celebrate! I celebrate that God knows more than any doctor knows. I celebrate that beautiful baby boy who grew up to be a handsome young man  On days like this, I travel down memory lane, remembering the cute little toddler. And the sometimes rebellious teenager. Remembering the pride I felt when he joined the Air Force and went off to serve his country.  Remembering how hard it was during those years when he was far from home. Nearly bursting with joy over the man he has become as I watch him be the parent.

Today, I'm celebrating Brian. But I'm celebrating so much more. I'm celebrating a faithful and loving Heavenly Father. And I'm celebrating answered prayer.

"For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of Him."          
(1 Samuel 1:27 KJV)



No comments:

Post a Comment