Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Remembering

We have been coming to Florida in January or February for nearly as long as I can remember. Al attends a conference at this time every year. Most often the conference is held in Orlando. Occasionally, as it was last year, the conference is in Tampa.


Particularly in the years when we lived in cold-weather climates, I was happy to come to Florida and escape the snow and freezing temperatures. Even when we lived here in Florida, it was nice to have a break from the normal routines of life.


As I am sitting here this morning, enjoying some Florida sunshine, I've been remembering previous trips. The people we spent time with. The places we saw. The good food we shared with friends. And I have been particularly remembering last year's trip.


You see, last year when we came to Florida for the conference, it was my first trip away from home after my stroke. I confess that I was a nervous wreck. And with good cause. We were staying in a very large high-rise hotel. There were about 8 elevators. I couldn't even always remember what floor we were on, much less remember my room number! As a result, I rarely left the room (which was, by the way, a very nice room!). When we left the room, I always needed someone on my right side since I had not yet adjusted well to my loss of vision on that side. The crowds frazzled me. I felt completely lost and out of my comfort zone.


What a difference a year makes! As I have said before, when the therapists told me I would continue to improve, I didn't really believe them. But they were right. I have improved dramatically in this last year. I still don't like crowds, but I'm better about that than I was a year ago. I've only gotten lost once on this trip. I can remember my room number. (Most of the time!) Even so, I'm still more comfortable being here in my own space, in my very nice hotel room, than out amongst the crowd. I have ventured out this morning to sit by the pool and enjoy the sun, but there's nobody else here, so I'm comfortable.


It's good to take time to remember. To think back over how far I have come in this last year. It's good for you to remember, too. You may not have had a stroke. But I'm certain you have had challenges to overcome. Frustrations. Disappointments.


Remembering is a good thing. A gift from God. The reminder that, no matter what comes our way, God is in control. That He will bring us through it. We don't remember so that we can dwell on what happened but so that we can be reminded of who God is and of how He is working all these things together for our good and for His glory.


Remember that today!


"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment