Friday, September 22, 2017

Living Loud

Several months ago I came across an article about the 11 things the parents of boys should know, or some title similar to that. I think the article originally appeared in the Huffington Post, which is not a publication I typically read, and when I tried to find the article again to verify the title, I couldn't find it. No matter. What I particularly remember from that article is the author's point that boys are loud.

The article was written by a woman, and apparently one who had never spent a lot of time around little boys. I, however, as a mother of boys and a grandmother of boys, was not surprised by this point at all! Before we go any further, let me clarify. I hate generalizations. Hate them! To say that all boys are this way and all girls are that way is both unfair and inaccurate, but debating that isn't the point of this post.

What I can tell you, from my own experience as a mother and a grandmother, is that boys can be loud. They may not always be loud, every moment of every day, but they can make a lot of noise. At least it has always seemed so to me. In fairness, even though I grew up as a quiet, shy girl who spent most of her time with her nose in a book, I am sure there were days when my mother, who was herself the quiet type, thought I was very loud!

Children, both boys and girls, can be loud. They play with an enthusiastic abandonment that doesn't really notice, or care, if their enthusiasm is disturbing someone else. Children arrive in the world with loud cries, making their presence known. They cry loudly when they are hungry or sleepy or wet. And that living loud continues until some grownup along the way convinces them that they are making too much noise and need to be quiet. 

I think there is a lot we as adults, particularly as Christian adults, can learn from the enthusiasm of children. Children live loud. They are not particularly concerned with what other people think. They radiate joy. They don't hold back.

Think about that, about living loud, as it applies to the Christian life. As Christians, are we living out our faith with enthusiasm and abandonment, or are we holding back because of a concern about what other people will think?

Are we, as Christians, living loud for Jesus? Are we, you and I, living a Biblical Christianity or a cultural Christianity? Are we more interested in what the culture thinks of us, or in what Jesus thinks of us?

In a culture that increasingly tries to marginalize or silence any expression of Christian faith, what does it mean to live loud for Jesus? How can we live loud for Jesus today?

Something to think about.

"Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples!" (Psalm 96:3 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment