Tuesday, September 26, 2017

A Reunion. A Thankful Tuesday Post.

As so often happens, yesterday when I was looking for something, I came across something completely unrelated, but which captured my attention in a way that made me completely forget what I was looking for in the first place.


Yesterday, in what seemed at first to be a completely random Facebook ramble, I came across a couple of posts from family and friends originally posted during my days in the hospital last November.


There was this post from November 30, a few days after I had moved to Spartanburg Rehabilitation Institute:


Afternoon update...Susan has had a full day and is resting before dinner. 4 sessions - PT, OT, and SLP today, and had her hair done. At the last session of PT she did 10 minutes on the exercise machine then walked 65 feet with the walker and 65 feet with no walker. I am so proud of her efforts so she can go home soon. I believe that God is going to COMPLETELY restore Susan for what ever He has in His plan for her. It is so great to see her improving each day.


Last Tuesday, I was back at Spartanburg Rehabilitation Institute for a reunion. Last week was National Rehabilitation Awareness week (who knew there was such a thing!!), and former patients were invited back for a reunion dinner. It was a good dinner, and we met some new friends. But the best thing was seeing some of my former therapists, and having them see me.


The reunion gave me another chance to thank my therapists again for all they did in helping me through those really challenging days. And it was a chance to encourage the staff, as they could see me, and others like me, doing so much better. The therapists at Spartanburg Rehabilitation Institute, and other facilities like it, see us at our worst, but very rarely get to see us once we have "rehabilitated". I'm thankful for last week's reunion so that all those who were so helpful to me and others like me could be encouraged to see how their work paid off.


Beyond that, it was another reminder just how blessed I am. What happened to me could have had a very different outcome. As I sat there last Thursday afternoon, and reflected on what happened to me and to so many others like me, I am overwhelmed with gratitude. There were people there whose condition was not as bad as mine, and people whose condition was far worse. How thankful I am to be one of many who can say, they wheeled me in, but I walked out on my own two feet!


I had amazing doctors and nurses. Amazing therapists. I received excellent care in the hospital and at rehab. My family and friends took wonderful care of me, and continue to do that to this day. I am so grateful for each one.


While I acknowledge and am grateful for all these people, the reason I did so well, the reason I am able to read and write this today is because of the amazing grace of God! So, To God be the glory. Great things He has done!


"This is the LORD's doing; It is marvelous in our eyes." (Psalm 118:23 NASB)



No comments:

Post a Comment