Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Content. A Thankful Tuesday Post.





I remember when Molly was just a puppy, full of energy and enthusiasm. She is no longer young. In fact, her 14th birthday is just a few weeks away. Molly is an old dog now. She doesn't see very well, and she can't hear. Even so, she's content. In that regard, Molly and I have a lot in common.


Over the last few weeks, I have been asked a number of times if I am back to 100 percent. And the answer is no. I am not exactly like I was before the stroke. I can no longer drive. There are a number of things I can't do any more, or that I can't do as well as I once was able to do them.


As an example, reading was once one of the great joys of my life. It was not uncommon for me to read several books in a week. Currently, I am able to read - something I once never thought I would be able to do again - but it is a very slow process for me. I am currently [still] reading a book I began in July, and am now about one-fourth of the way through. But, even though it is much slower than it used to be, I am enjoying the process and remembering what I have read. So, that's a good thing!


Yes, life is sometimes frustrating. Yes, I wish I didn't get my words mixed up and confuse colors and struggle with numbers. But what I can do is so much more than what I can't do.


For that, I am profoundly grateful.


And even though life isn't exactly what it used to be, in many ways, it's better. I have gained a greater joy in the journey. A greater appreciation for each new day of life. An even greater love for my family and friends.


And I am content.


"I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am." (Philippians 4:11 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment