Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Trying to Make Sense of It All

Four more weeks. Then we can put this election season behind us and move on. In all likelihood, no matter who is elected, candidates for the next election will begin positioning themselves immediately following November 8. It seems we live in a never-ending election season.

This election cycle has been unlike any I have ever known. That the two major party candidates at the top of the ticket are the best we could come up with continues to baffle me.

Over the weekend we were forced to confront some realities about both these candidates, although only the news about Mr. Trump and an 11-year old conversation seemed to garner much attention from the media.

Donald Trump has been in the public eye for a long time, and has a reputation for being crude and arrogant. I'm not surprised that such a conversation as was revealed on the tape actually took place. What surprises me is that so many people are surprised. I am far more surprised that he actually got the Republican nomination than I am by this tape. Please don't misunderstand me. I find his comments reprehensible. I'm disgusted, but not surprised.

But should our opinion of a person be swayed by what they said eleven years ago? Should an entire election swing on an eleven year old conversation? I think not.

While no defense can be made of what he said, we need some perspective. Eight years ago, when Sarah Palin was the Republican vice-presidential candidate, equally crude and disgusting things were said about her, and about her children, by many Democrats. Where was the outrage then?

If what Donald Trump said had been accompanied by some rap music (if it can indeed be called music), then there would be a rush to download it, and it might even win an award! Our society is quick to accept this kind of language and treatment of women in our entertainment - in movies and music and books (remember Fifty Shades of Gray, for example), yet we are quick to condemn it when it comes from someone we just don't particularly like.

Our country is in deep trouble. This election is about far more than a foul-mouthed candidate. Actually, by all accounts, both of them are equally foul-mouthed. We need to get beyond personalities and beyond media bias, and think deeply and carefully about the issues. We need to consider the platforms each of these candidates represents. We need to consider the vision for the future of our country that each of these candidates puts forth. We need to consider what the consequences will be for the future of our country, for the future of our children and our grandchildren.

Above all, we need to pray.

Like many of you, I don't want to vote for either of these candidates. They are both seriously flawed. Neither of them would be my first choice. Or my second. Or my third.

Even so, I will vote. And then I will trust God for the outcome.

As I have been trying to make sense of all this, the prophet Habakkuk keeps coming to mind. Our country is in a mess; it was much the same for Habakkuk, and so he prayed this prayer:

"I have heard all about you, Lord. I am filled with awe by your amazing works. In this time of our deep need, help us again as you did in years gone by. And in your anger, remember your mercy." (Habakkuk 3:2 NLT)

Habakkuk is a good role model for us in this election season. He prayed. And he trusted God for the outcome.

May we do the same. May we be people of prayer in these difficult days. And no matter the outcome of this election, may we continue to trust and praise God.

"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength!"
(Habakkuk 3:17-19 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment