Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Diary of a Knee Replacement. Feeling Thankful.

Yesterday marked eight weeks since I said good-bye to my old knee and hello to the new one.  Eight long weeks.  Eight short weeks.  The surgery day seems so very long ago, but at the same time it's hard to believe eight weeks have already gone by.

As I was driving home from physical therapy yesterday, I was thinking back over these last eight weeks.  In the beginning, of course, there was the discomfort from surgery.  Even taking that into account, that part of the process has not really been too bad, and for that I'm thankful.

Certainly there have been frustrating days.  Days when I wanted to do more than I was yet able to do.  Days when I had to depend on others for nearly everything (which is a hard thing for a very independent woman).  There were the days when I went to therapy and just couldn't get this knee to cooperate. Frustrating days.

But those frustrations are overshadowed by the blessings I've experienced.  The love and encouragement of family and friends.  All the notes and phone calls and texts, all the food and flowers and gifts, all the expressions of love and concern that have truly made me feel very loved indeed. 

On Tuesday morning eight weeks ago, the morning after surgery, I was awakened at about 4:30 to have my blood drawn and my blood pressure checked. Again.  It was the beginning of a very challenging day, a day of pain and nausea and learning to walk on my new knee.  It was a day I'm thankful not to have to repeat!  But this beautiful Tuesday morning, I awakened feeling great, able to get out of bed on my own, walk around the house and take care of things on my own, not needing any assistance to get up or make my breakfast or dress myself.  I've come a long way in eight weeks.  And I am so thankful.

I was thinking about that yesterday at physical therapy as I was riding a bicycle and doing squats and bending my knee.  I was thinking about it as I was driving home after therapy.  And I'm thinking about it this morning. 

I've come a long way in eight weeks, and I have so much to be thankful for! 

"Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!"  (Psalm 107:1a NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment