Friday, February 5, 2016

Mission Accomplished. Or Not.

They say that all good things must come to an end.  That's true of this week in Florida. We'll be saying farewell to the Sunshine State and driving back to South Carolina tomorrow.  We have had a great week here, and enjoyed the warm weather and sunshine.  This morning, however, is much colder.  It was 44 degrees last time I checked, which may not seem all that cold to those in the frozen north, but it's bitterly cold to a Floridian!

One of my goals this week as I was out shopping was to find the perfect LBD (little black dress) to wear on our cruise next week.  I was beginning to despair I would ever find it, but finally, yesterday morning, there it was!  Mission accomplished.  I also found a pair of shoes to wear with this dress.  Another mission accomplished!

On other fronts, I have not been quite as successful.  I always seem to set unrealistic expectations for myself on these trips.  I envision that, during my time alone in hotel rooms while Al is working, I will make great strides in my writing projects, and I will read copious numbers of books, and that I will generally be extremely productive.  On this trip, as is so often the case, my mission was not accomplished. 

I did finish a book I was reading and posted the review yesterday.  So, mission accomplished there.  I brought a couple of other books with me, but haven't read a word of either of them. 

Beyond the reading, I had a goal to get some writing done, or at the very least, to edit what I had already written.  One again, procrastination took over.  I found so many other things to do:  shopping,  following politics on the news channel, binge-watching my favorite TV show.  None of those are bad things, but they took time away from what would have been a better use of my time, so my mission was not accomplished.

This is my Sunday to lead our Life Group lesson, so thankfully, I used my time wisely enough to allow me to study and prepare the lesson.  Mission accomplished.

Being here in Florida has given me the opportunity to have lunch with a dear friend, and to spend time with family.  I have loved every minute of that, and especially loved those grandson-hugs that I miss out on for most of the year.

It's been a great week!  I have loved the sunshine and the shopping and the family time.  Tomorrow we head home, and I'll love that too. Because there's no place like home!


"Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time and forever.  From the rising of the sun to its setting the name of the LORD is to be praised."  (Psalm 113:2-3 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment