Monday, September 21, 2015

There's No Place Like Home

"There's no place like home."  (Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz)

Eleven weeks. 11,676 miles. 33 states. 37 hotels. Several thousand photographs.  And far too many restaurant meals.  Now we are finally home, and I have to agree with Dorothy.  There's no place quite like home.

To say that we are tired after such a journey would be a massive understatement!  For the last couple of weeks, we have pretty much been on auto-pilot.  Just going through the motions.  Dreading the thought of yet another meal in a restaurant.  Not even wanting to have to think about reading another menu and deciding what to eat.  Weary of loading and unloading the van yet again.

In the midst of the weariness, there were some high points during these last few weeks.  Time with family and with special friends was woven into the schedule, and that really helped get us through. 

On Friday we were both as excited as little children on Christmas morning!  After a final family breakfast with Brian, Emily, and Christopher, we put our little fur baby in the van and set out on the long journey home.

This was really a welcome sight!




 

 
 

Just a few hours later, this......


 
 
And then the photo I had been waiting to take.......
 
 

 
 

After all those miles, and after all those weeks, we were finally home!
 
It was wonderful to sleep in my own bed!  To be in my own shower!  To have coffee out of my own coffee pot!  In my own favorite coffee mug! To sit in my own comfy chair!

But even as I'm enjoying being home again, my thoughts are also turning toward the day when I am truly finally home.  As much as I am loving being home again here, how much greater will be my joy on that day when I am truly finally home

I'm looking forward to that day.......the day about which Jesus spoke when He said, "In my Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."  (John 14:2-3 NASB).

Looking forward to that day when "we shall always be with the Lord."  (1 Thess. 4:17b NASB)

I'm looking forward to being finally home.
 
But just think of stepping on shore-And finding it Heaven!
Of touching a hand-And finding it God's!
Of breathing new air-And finding it celestial!
Of waking up in glory-And finding it home!

(Don Wyrtzen)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment