Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A Challenge

Have you ever heard someone say their Bible reading has gone stale?  Are you one of those people?

Or have you, or someone you know, ever struggled to find a Bible reading plan that works for you?

Or are you, or someone you know, one of those who says "I don't read the Bible.  I just use a devotional book."

I confess that last statement always breaks my heart.  How can words written by a person, however eloquent they might be, compare to the Word of Almighty God?

If any of those scenarios apply to you, I'm here today to challenge you to join me in a Bible reading plan.  The challenge is for the next four months, September through December.  If that's too much for you, then join in just for September.

Many years ago I heard someone say that if you want to get to know the heart of God, you should read the Psalms.  (I don't remember who I first heard say that, so I can't give credit.)  That's where the challenge begins.  In the Psalms.  We will be reading five Psalms per day.

Here's how it works.  Beginning today, read the Psalm with the same number as the day of the month.  Today, read Psalm 1.  Then add 30 and read Psalm 31.  Add 30 more and read Psalm 61.  Then Psalm 91.  Then Psalm 121.  That's the five Psalms for today.  Tomorrow, you will read Psalm 2, Psalm 32, Psalm 62, Psalm 92, and Psalm 122.  And so it goes.  Save Psalm 119 for the 31st day of the month.  (Which means you will have to continue with this plan on into October!)

We are all well aware of the book of Proverbs being known as a book of wisdom.  Wisdom has been defined as seeing life from God's point of view.  With that in mind, we're adding Proverbs to our Bible reading plan.  Read one chapter of Proverbs each day, again reading the chapter with the same number as the day of the month.  Today, read Proverbs 1.  Tomorrow read Proverbs 2, and so forth.

Added to our plan will be a reading from the New Testament Book of Acts.  Again, we will read one chapter per day, which will mean we finish Acts a few days before the end of the month.   Added to the challenge to read one chapter of Acts per day is the challenge to mark each time you see the words "Holy Spirit".  Use a highlighter or a red pen or a colored pencil, or whatever means you normally use to mark your Bible.  I mark the Holy Spirit by drawing a red cloud around the words and coloring in the cloud with a yellow pencil.  You do what works for you.  The point of the marking is to see how God worked through His Spirit in the early church.

If you want to take this challenge a step further, keep a journal of what you learn about God through this process or what God is teaching you as you spend time in His Word.

It was in the wee hours of this morning that God spoke to my heart and said you need to do this.  And you need to invite others to join you.

I'm not abandoning my current reading plan; rather, I'm enhancing it.  I'm adding this to the reading plan I was already following.

Whether you choose to follow this plan in addition to or instead of your current plan, I invite you to join me as we read Psalms, Proverbs, and Acts together.

I'm excited about all that God is going to teach us through this process!


"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."  (Hebrews 4:12 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment