Friday, June 12, 2015

Another Anniversary

On June 10, Al and I celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary.  Today, June 12, marks another anniversary.  It was on this day, six years ago, that my beloved daddy left this life and entered his heavenly home.

On that morning, six years ago, his devotional reading was from Colossians 3:1-5.  We found his Bible and devotional book open on the table next to his chair.  Interestingly, as I opened the book for our morning devotions this morning, Al and I read together that same passage!

Daddy's passing was sudden and unexpected.  Well, I suppose not completely unexpected, since he was 88 years old!  But certainly not expected on that particular day.

In many ways, it all seems very long ago.  Yet the memory of that day is as vivid as if it had just happened this morning.  And although I've grown accustomed to his being gone, I still miss Daddy so much!

How I would love one more hug, one more conversation, one more visit, one more surprise phone call - just because!  How I miss the twinkle in his eye, his sense of humor, his laugh.  And how I miss those more serious conversations.  About the Scriptures.  About politics.  About life.

How I would love to hear that voice just once more say "Top o' the mornin' to ya!"

How I would love to hear that voice recite another of his favorite poems.  Especially "The Touch of the Master's Hand."  That was his favorite.

I wouldn't even mind hearing that same joke I've heard hundreds of times.  Just one more time! "Have I told you the one about......", he would say.  "Tell me again", I would say.

Daddy left us quickly. A sudden, massive heart attack, they said. I think that's a reminder to live each day to its fullest, because we never know when it's time to go.

And it's a reminder to love our family and friends - and to let them know how much they are loved - because we never know when it's time for them to go.

 
We must love them while we can, we must love them while we can,
For time just seems to hurry by, and the days slip into years
And the moments that we have will disappear,
So love them while we can.
(-Chris Christian)



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment