Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Continually

This year I'm reading through the Bible following a plan called "Eat This Book: One Year Bible with Daily Psalm".  Currently I'm reading in Leviticus, which I don't mind telling you is not an easy read.  Today's Psalm was one of my favorites, Psalm 34.

Psalm 34 begins this way:  "I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth."

That sounds very Psalm-like, doesn't it?

But read it again, slowly, and really focus on the words.  I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth."

Those are convicting words.  Because, honestly, I don't bless the Lord at all times.  I'm not praising continually.

Sometimes I'm whining.  Or complaining.  Sometimes I'm short-tempered.  Sometimes I say things that would have been best left unsaid.  Sometimes (too often) I'm sarcastic. And critical. And a bit too blunt.

Perhaps you could say the same.  Or is it just me?

Whining. Complaining.  Criticizing.  None of that equates to continually praising.

I'm convicted today by these words from Psalm 34.  I'm confessing my failure.  And I'm praying that today, and every day, I'll be learning to do more continually praising and less continually complaining!

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer."  (Psalm 19:14 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment