Monday, July 14, 2014

Some Thoughts About Waiting

“Waiting on God isn’t about the suspension of meaning and purpose. It’s part of the meaning and purpose that God has brought into my life. Waiting on God isn’t to be viewed as an obstruction in the way of the plan. Waiting is an essential part of the plan. For the child of God, waiting isn’t simply about what I’ll receive at the end of my wait. No, waiting is much more purposeful, efficient, and practical than that. Waiting is fundamentally about what I’ll become as I wait. God is using the wait to do in and through me exactly what He’s promised. Through the wait He’s changing me. By means of the wait He’s altering the fabric of my thoughts and desires. Through the wait He’s causing me to see and experience new things about Him and His kingdom. And all of this sharpens me, enabling me to be a more useful tool in His redemptive hands.”  (Paul Tripp)

I originally came across this quote several years ago as I was reading a blog post from "Women Living Well", and it really grabbed my attention. In fact, I blogged about it at the time.  Maybe this quote speaks to you just as it does to me.  I feel certain that I'm not the only one experiencing a season of waiting.  Because waiting is a fact of life.

I don't know about you, but I don't really enjoy waiting.  But life is filled with "waiting opportunities", isn't it?  Waiting in the doctor's office; waiting in line at the grocery store or the post office; waiting for that red light to turn green; waiting for the check to come in the mail; waiting for ...............  You can fill in your own blank.

In our society these days there are a lot of people waiting.  Waiting for a job.  Waiting for a house to sell.  Waiting for some good news about a health diagnosis.  Again, the list could be very long.

I feel like I have been in a waiting mode for a long time.  Although our house has only been on the market for a few months, it feels like much longer.  Those of you who are trying to sell a house in this economy can probably relate!  No matter what we're waiting for, waiting isn't easy.  But as the quote from Paul Tripp reminds us, it has a purpose. 

The waiting is as much a part of the plan as is the result.  Some days (most days!) I need to be reminded of that.  Waiting is part of the process.  Waiting is about lessons to be learned.  And even though we don't like waiting for anything, it's something we must learn to do!

I'm not sure I have learned all the lessons I needed to learn through this latest period of waiting.  I'm not at all sure I have been a very good student!  But somehow I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel!  I can't explain it.  It just "feels like" something is about to change.  I hope I'm right about that!

But no matter what, whether this waiting period is nearing an end or it continues on,   I'm holding on to the truth that God is at work. That waiting is about "what I become AS I WAIT."  That God is at work in my life even when it doesn't feel like it and I can't understand.  That life is all about Him and not about me.  And that "He who began a good work in (me) will be faithful to complete it."  (Philippians 1:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment