Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Things We Take for Granted

I came home from Israel sick.  Bronchitis, sinus infection, both ears infected.  Antibiotics cleared up the infection pretty quickly, but the ear problems are lingering.  As I write I still can't hear normally.  My ears are still "plugged up".

I'm told I should just be patient.  Just wait it out.

I may have mentioned before that I'm not a particularly patient person.  It's frustrating.

We take our hearing for granted, don't we?  We just assume that when we get up in the morning we'll be able to hear what is being said to us.

That hasn't been the case for me for more than a week now.  And I don't like it!

But it has caused me to think about just how many things in life we take for granted.  About how seldom we say Thank you, Lord, that I can hear.  Or Thank you, Lord, that I can see.  Or Thank you, Lord, that I have a roof over my head and heat and food and water........

We take a lot for granted.  We just assume that what we need (or want) will be there when we need (or want) it.  We too often forget to say thank you.

Shame on us.  Shame on me.

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits."  (Psalm 103:1-2 ESV, emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment