Monday, July 1, 2013

What a Weekend! Some Reflections......

It was quite a full weekend for us, which is a bit unusual.  We're at a season of life where the pace is a little slower than it once was.  But this was a weekend filled to the brim.  And it was a bittersweet time.

On Saturday we went down to Landrum, my hometown, where we gathered with my cousins to say our final farewells and celebrate the homegoing of our second cousin Anne Sevier.  Anne, who had left this world last Tuesday at the age of 106, was certainly ready to go to her heavenly Home, but it was still hard to realize she was actually gone.

Prior to the funeral service, we had a wonderful time reminiscing and just enjoying being together as a family.  It was wonderful to spend time with those cousins I so seldom see.  It's always sad to think that it takes a funeral to get us all together!

We realized that, with Anne gone, now we are the "old folks".  Although I hastened to point out that, with five cousins older and seven cousins younger, I'm pretty much in the middle of the pack and therefore don't qualify for that distinction!

When the service began, the minister began his remarks by telling us that, several years ago when he and Anne had discussed preparations for this day, she had instructed him to be brief!  He wasn't, but otherwise I think she would have been pleased with the service and pleased that her instructions had been followed!  She was like that.

Anne had lived a very long, very full life.  She had a profound influence on many people, on her students and on those of us blessed to call her part of our family.  She was ready to "move on".  We will miss her, but we'll see her again.  Truly it is said of her as of the Apostle Paul, "I have finished the course, I have kept the faith.  Henceforth is laid up for the me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all those who love His appearing."  (2 Tim. 4:7-8)

Sunday was another day for celebration.  At our church we were celebrating our pastor's 60th birthday and his 20th anniversary as pastor at First Baptist, Spartanburg.  And what a joyous time of celebration it was!  Video clips of earlier days of his ministry, greetings from other pastors and friends, special music, and a special guest speaker - Dennis Swanberg.

"The Swan" had us laughing so hard that many of us had tears rolling down our cheeks!  But he also talked to us about the blessing, the treasure, of friendship, using the special relationship between Mary, Martha, Lazarus, and Jesus as a model.

What a special day yesterday was!  How blessed I am to call Dr. Don Wilton my pastor, my encourager, and my friend!  Happy Anniversary to you both, Dr. Don and Karyn.  What a treasure you are, what a blessing to my life and to the lives of so many others! 

"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace."  (Numbers 6:24-26 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment