Thursday, May 31, 2012

Things I Don't Understand

Certainly there are a number of things I don't understand.  Computers.  Automobile engines. Electricity.  I'm sure that if I studied any of those subjects in depth, I would come to some level of understanding.  But I haven't done that.  So, I just accept that they work!

There are many other less complicated things I don't understand.  I don't understand why so many college-educated people seem to have so much trouble understanding the difference between it's and its.  (One is a possessive pronoun; the other a contraction.  If you don't know which is which, look it up!).  Similarly, there seems to be a great confusion between there, they're, and their.  I can't understand it!  I know that social media and auto-correct features on phones probably contribute to this confusion, but it still makes no sense to me.

I'm frustrated when I hear people say things like "I just got my hair did".  It makes me crazy.  I don't understand why they don't understand that is incorrect!

I don't understand why people make so much noise when they turn the pages of a book or a magazine.  OK, I know that really isn't a big deal, but it makes me nuts, so I just threw it in!

I'm sure you're thinking that none of this really matters.  And, in terms of eternity, you're right.  It doesn't.  So let's consider some things I don't understand that do matter.

I don't understand why so many Christians treat the Christian life as for "Sunday morning only".  Why they act as if life from about noon on Sunday until the following Sunday morning is completely unrelated to what they said/did/heard while they were at church on Sunday morning.

Or what about all those people who call themselves Christian yet never seem able to fit church attendance into their weekly schedule.  All those people who are "too busy".

One thing I really can't understand is people who call themselves Christian but who never spend time in God's Word.  How can someone claim to believe the Bible but have no idea what it says?  Never read the Bible.  Never study the Bible.  I just can't understand it.

What if the only physical nourishment you gave your body was one meal per week on a Sunday morning?  How healthy do you think you would be?

What if you only communicated with your spouse or your children once a week?  How healthy would the relationship be?

The answer, of course, is not very healthy.  How then can we expect our relationship with God to be healthy if we neglect it? 

The Christian life is not meant to be kept in a "Sunday morning box" or to be treated as an insurance policy that we pull out only when we need it. 

I don't understand it.  It saddens me to know that so many people call themselves Christian, yet they neglect their relationship with the Lord and His Word. 

We find time for all kinds of other things that are important to us......work, sports, the mall, the gym, the beach.  But we're too busy for God.

It grieves my heart.  And I'm sure it grieves the heart of God as well.

"Discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness; for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."  (1 Timothy 4:7b-8 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment