Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What's Your Favorite?

Now that the calendar says it's almost December, I guess it's "officially" OK for me to listen to Christmas music.  I've been noticing a lot of complaining about Christmas music being played or sung prior to Thanksgiving, and I have to confess that I don't really understand that.  From the perspective that Thanksgiving is becoming the "forgotten" holiday and that retailers jump into Christmas advertising right after Labor Day, I'll accept the complaining......at least a little bit. 

But for me, "Christmas music" transcends the season.  I would gladly listen to it and sing it year-round.  And I confess that, in the privacy of my own home, I do!!  It's a bit sad to me that this wonderful music which tells so much of the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place, that gives us so many wonderful lyrics about the redemption story, is relegated to just a few weeks in December.

I was recently asked about my favorite Christmas carol.  I had a hard time answering that question.  Not because I don't have a favorite.  Because I have LOTS of favorites!! 

I love "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night".  I love the music.  I love the way the music suits the lyrics perfectly.  I love how these songs evoke mental images of the events of that special night so long ago.

I love "Joy to the World"!  Just the title makes me smile.  JOY!!!! 

I love Mark Lowry's song "Mary, Did You Know?"  I don't really think of that as a "Christmas" song, but it seems to be played and sung a lot more during the Christmas season.  It's a really thought-provoking song.  Just what did Mary really understand about this baby boy?

Perhaps my absolute favorite is "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing".  I think I must have loved this carol all my life.  I can remember singing it as a little girl.  (And I've been told that, in my early childhood, I "rewrote" the lyrics a little.....instead of "with th' angelic host proclaim", I sang "with the jelly host proclaim"!!!!)  I have come to love this carol more and more over the years, particularly for its lyrics.  The entire reason for Christmas, the reason Christ came to earth, is encapsulated in one line......."God and sinners reconciled". 

That's the reason for the season!

And so today as I'm singing my favorite songs of the season, I'm wondering what your favorites are.  And why.  Leave a comment if you'd like to share.

2 comments:

  1. I must agree with you on Stille Nacht and O Holy Night... I would also add to that O Little Town of Bethlehem and a song by Trisha Yearwood "It Wasn't His Child"

    there are some secular songs that are worthy of consideration too... It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Holly Jolly Christmas, Let it Snow, Happy Hollidays... just to name a few...

    [Dan Lambert not Anonymous. ;) ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Dan, about the secular songs you mentioned.....love those! But I'm not as likely to be singing them year-round :)

    ReplyDelete