Friday, November 4, 2011

I Can See Clearly Now

I heard that song yesterday and now I can't get it out of my head.  Do you remember it?  "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone; I can see all obstacles in my way........."  Maybe that should be my new theme song!  I can see clearly now, at least in one eye!!

I had commented to Al, prior to my cataract surgery, that once the surgery was over I would probably be shocked at how dirty the house is.  He gave some very diplomatic response....."well, it's not as clean as it used to be."  Now that I have better vision, I'm seeing just how true that is!  I'm seeing all that dust......and all the spots on the floor that I never noticed before......and some greasy spots on the stove that I don't remember.  It's almost as though someone is shining a bright spotlight on all these not-as-clean-as-I-thought areas in my house.  If you have had cataract surgery, you probably understand what I mean!

I get much the same sensation when I read the Word of God.  It's as though the Holy Spirit is shining a spotlight on those not-quite-as-clean-as-I-thought areas of my life.  Perhaps you have had the same experience when you read the Scriptures.......those times when you realize it applies not to your spouse or your neighbor or your sister or your friend, but to you.

It happens when we read things like.......
            "in everything give thanks" (2 Thessalonians 5:18).

Or the previous verse........
            "pray constantly" ( 2 Thessalonians 5:17).

Or how about this one........
            "Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable - if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise - dwell on these things."  (Philippans 4:8  HCSB).  Keep that one in mind while you're watching the evening news!

Or this one.......
             "Let no unwholesome talk come from your mouth, but only what is good for the building up of someone.......All bitterness, anger and wrath, insult and slander must be removed from you.......and be kind and compassionate to one another."  (Ephesians 4:29-32).

That bright light of God's Word really is convicting, isn't it??!!

"Pay careful attention, then, to how you walk - not as unwise people but as wise - making the most of the time, because the days are evil."  (Ephesians 5:15-16 HCSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment