Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Overwhelmed

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed today.  Make that a lot overwhelmed!

As I'm counting down the hours until Thanksgiving Day, and as I look at my to-do list (make that lists), I'm feeling overwhelmed!  I have pared down the menu for Thanksgiving Day.  I have realized I don't have to cook enough for an army.  This year's feast doesn't have to include everything we have ever eaten at a previous Thanksgiving meal!  Let's begin a new tradition.....not quite so much food!!

And I have given myself permission to use post-its instead of construction paper leaves for the Thanksgiving tree.  (See previous post if this makes no sense to you.)

I have realized that everything doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.  That it's OK if we eat on paper plates.  (I found some really nice ones at Walmart!)

The groceries have been bought.  My lists are made.  I have scratched several things off the lists. Yet in spite of that, I'm still feeling overwhelmed.  It happens every time.  I wish I didn't do this to myself.  But I do.

There is, however, another dimension to my overwhelmed-ness.  A positive dimension.  A dimension beyond turkeys and pumpkin pies and paper plates.  Beyond food and football.

I am absolutely overwhelmed with thankfulness.  I am overwhelmed by an awesome God.  I am amazed at His love.  And His goodness.  And His grace.  And His mercy.

I am overwhelmed by His blessings on me and on my family.  We are truly blessed beyond measure.

And I'm praying today that I can keep my focus on those things.  That in the middle of all the busyness of this week, I'll remember that those are the things that really matter.

"Give thanks to Him and bless His name.  For the LORD is good.  His lovingkindness is everlasting, and His faithfulness to all generations."  (Psalm 100:  4b-5 NASB)

1 comment: