Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday, Monday.......What's on My Mind Today

Another Monday morning.  And a gray, gloomy one at that!  There's the promise of rain in the air.....and in my bones!!  I'm having a hard time getting in gear today.  Not sure why that is, other than that it is a gray and gloomy morning!  There are a number of things on my to-do list for the day.  The usual Monday laundry pile needs to be dealt with.  And the Monday de-cluttering needs to be done.  I need to empty the dishwasher.  And get all the been-there-too-long bits out of the refrigerator.  Honestly, I would rather just sit and read a book! 

One of the things I like to do on Monday mornings is reflect back on Sunday.  And yesterday was such a GOOD Sunday!  So much to think about today.  Yesterday's Life Group lesson focused on some of the disciplines of the Christian life, like quiet time, prayer and Bible study.  I almost hesitate to use the word "disciplines" for fear of equating it with a word like "drudgery" or even "punishment", and this is not at all what I mean.  Think more along the line of "disciple"......disciple, discipline.  See what I mean? 

We are in the middle of a series of lessons and messages from the Pastor about our core convictions.  Knowing what we believe and why we believe it.  Living out what we believe.  And that brought us to yesterday's topic, which might be described as "what we do between Sundays".  During the discussion, I was so encouraged by the other women in my group.  We are all at a similar season of life......empty-nesters, many no longer part of the work force, sometimes wondering how to deal with this particular season of life......yet all loving Jesus and desiring to be all He desires us to be. 

It was interesting to hear how many struggle with carving out a set time of day for the quiet time.  I think many of them are like me.....thinking that somehow because I am home all day, it would be easy to set a definite daily appointment and finding it's not always so easy after all!  (See my previous post about distractions and spiritual ADD!).  Even though life back in the day, with work schedules and getting children to school and sports and all that was hectic, it was predictable.  Not so much in this season of life.  Well, except that it's predictable in the sense that there is no set schedule!  But too much flexibility can often be a hindrance rather than a benefit.

Another thing that has always been an issue for me is my guilt (I don't know any other way to express it) over not being a morning person.  I am not one of those people who can set the clock for 5AM, then wake up, turn on the light and start reading my Bible.  Well, I could do that, but I would have no idea what I had read!  My brain is mush at 5AM.  In fact, it's mush for a couple of hours after I get up, no matter what time that is.  So trying to have a meaningful time with the Lord at 5AM, or even when I first get up, just doesn't work for me.  I finally have realized the Lord understands that.

Not too long ago, in a Bible Study we were attending, this topic came up and the leader made a statement that has been so liberating for me......."give God the best time of your day".  Wow!  We aren't all morning people.  Or night people.  For me, early afternoon is the best.....and quietest......time of day.  So it has become my practice to set that as my daily appointment time with God.  I look forward to that time.  The day begins with a "Good morning, Lord,", then coffee and a brief devotional reading.  But I really look forward to that extended time in the early afternoon.  Like all appointments, sometimes there needs to be a rescheduling,  But oh, how I look forward to that time!

I have said all that to say that I was so encouraged to hear how each of the women in my group has learned to adjust to this new season of life and how each of them is making time with the Lord a priority in the day.  This group of women has been such an encouragement and blessing in my life in the brief time we have been attending this particular church.

And that was just the beginning of my very good Sunday.  More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment