Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Love Fall!

One of the things I have enjoyed most about living in the NC mountains is the changing of the seasons.  We didn't experience this in Florida, at least not in the same way.  It has been said that in Florida there are two seasons - hot and hotter.  While that is not entirely accurate, it is true that there is not a great deal of difference between one season and the next, other than some modification in temperature.

We're beginning to get a hint of fall here in the mountains.  Cooler temperatures.  A crispness in the air.  Some leaves are even beginning to change colors.

For many years now, fall has been my favorite season.  Before we had ever moved away from South Carolina, if you had asked my favorite season, I would have answered "spring".  I loved (and still love) the beauty of spring in South Carolina......dogwoods, azaleas, all sorts of beautiful flowers, warm - but not yet hot - temperatures. The downside of all that beauty was all the pollen that came with it......and the accompanying allergies!

Once we started moving around the country, I quickly discovered that spring does not show itself in the same way in all parts of the country!  I first learned this lesson in Colorado, where spring could mean beautiful sunshine one day and a blizzard the next.  In Connecticut, spring came much later than I had been accustomed to.  It was beautiful when it finally arrived......it just took a long time getting there!  Spring in many parts of the country is quite unpredictable!

I love the fall.  Apples and pumpkins.  Beautiful leaves in all shades of red and gold.  Warm days.  Cool nights.  The crispness in the air.  What I don't like about fall is that winter is not far behind!  And, as I have probably expressed all too many times, I really don't like winter!

This is definitely a "fall morning" here on our mountaintop.  It's cool.  A little damp and rainy.  There's some fog.  It isn't quite cool enough for turning on the fireplace......but almost!  It's definitely a "sweater morning"!  And I saw even more red and gold this morning than I did yesterday.

As I sit here enjoying the beauty of this new season, I'm grateful for the creativity of our amazing God and for the beauty of the world He created.  I'm thankful for the gift of seasons.   And I'm thankful that even though seasons change and circumstances change, our God does not change. 

"This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope.  The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning. Great is Your Faithfulness." 
                                                                        (Lamentations 3:22-23  NASB)


Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love.

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
                                               
                                                                                                - Thomas Chisholm

No comments:

Post a Comment