Friday, September 16, 2011

Cleaning out the Closet

It's that time again.  Time to clean out the closet.  To switch out the summer clothes for the fall and winter ones.  I began that process yesterday, and not a minute too soon when I consider how the weather has changed in the last couple of days.  When I left Pigeon Forge on Wednesday afternoon, the car thermometer showed 92 degrees.  Yesterday here on the mountain, we didn't get past 69.  Today I'm hoping we make it to the mid-50s! 

And so that brings me to the closet inventory.  I would be doing this, at least on a smaller scale, in spite of the temperatures.  It has become my habit, when I purchase new clothing, to get rid of some older clothes.  The closet is less cluttered that way.  And since I had a very productive day of retail therapy (can you see me smile!!), some old clothes have to go. 

As I'm cleaning out the closet, it occurs to me that this is a good time for a spiritual inventory as well.  As important as it is to have an uncluttered closet, or kitchen pantry, or sock drawer, how much more important to declutter my mind and my spirit.  To examine my thoughts.  And my attitudes.  And my habits.  To replace what needs replacing.  To do away with what needs doing away with.   To get rid of some stuff.

Just as cleaning the refrigerator or cleaning out the pantry or reorganizing the closet sometimes becomes a bigger job than anticipated, this "attitude adjustment" may require more time and effort that I had realized.  But as I have begun this process, I'm discovering a lot of "stuff" that needs dealing with.  And as I'm dealing with my attitudes and habits, I'm so very grateful to my Heavenly Father who loves me so much, not because I have it all together, but in spite of the fact that I don't!

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way."  (Psalm 139:23-24 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment