Friday, November 12, 2010

Worship: What Is It?

I've been thinking a lot about worship this morning. So I invite you to think with me.......this will be the topic of our next Bible journey together.

First, let me explain what I mean.  I'm not just saying that I am worshiping this morning.....although I have done exactly that as I have focused my attention on God and His blessings on me this morning.  But I'm talking about worship in a broader sense, as a "topic".  Here's where I'm coming from.  First, you should know (if you don't already) that worship was the basis of, the topic of, my graduate studies.  Second, the topic of worship.....what it is, what it isn't.....often forms the basis of a huge "pet peeve" of mine!  To clarify, worship is not synonymous with music, although music is ONE of the expressions of our worship.  Further, I cringe every time a certain part of a church service is referred to as the "praise and worship" (referring to the singing part), as though we don't worship during the other parts.  As though the giving of our offerings is not an act of worship.  As though we don't worship when we pray.  As though we don't worship when we hear the Word of God read and taught.

I also get a little bent-out-of-shape when a certain style of music is referred to as "praise and worship" music.  I understand that there's an effort to distinguish one style of music from another, but I really think there's a better way to do that.  And I'm not too thrilled at the distinction of "praise" and "worship".  Do we not worship when we praise? 

So......now that you know some of my hang-ups on this topic, I imagine you have either decided I'm just too wierd for words (and you're not the first to decide that, I assure you!!) or perhaps you're brave enough to continue exploring the topic with me!!  If you're ready, then let's get started exploring what it means to worship.

Here's where we will begin......at the first place the word "worship" is mentioned in the Bible.....Genesis 22.
Read the chapter, think about it, and we'll begin digging in on Monday.  As we journey through this topic together, it's my hope that we will come to a true Biblical understanding of what worship is and how we live a life that worships.

No comments:

Post a Comment