Monday, September 20, 2010

My Shepherd

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."  That's a familiar portion of Scripture, isn't it?  One you and I have probably quoted countless times.  But have you ever stopped to consider what that really means?  We're studying the names of God, and today we consider this one.....Jehovah-Raah.....the LORD is my Shepherd.  What does that first sentence of Psalm 23 really mean to you and me?  One of the modern paraphrases puts it this way.....Because the Lord is my shepherd, I have everything that I need.  I love that rendering of the verse.  What comfort that brings!  And note that the promise is everything I need, not everything I want

The image of shepherd and sheep is one we find often in Scripture.  And it's not a very flattering one for us, is it?  We as humans are often pictured as sheep (see for example Isaiah 53:6).  I don't really have a lot of firsthand knowledge of sheep......or any other livestock, for that matter.  I've never lived on a farm or a ranch.  I'm not a real outdoorsy girl.  But everything I read tells me that sheep are not very smart.  In fact, I've often heard them described as dumb.  See what I mean about an unflattering description?!  Even so, we would probably all agree (however grudgingly) that it's an accurate one!  How often have you done things, made choices, said things that could only be described as "dumb"?  Or is it just me??!!

The reality is that sheep are not terribly smart.  And since we have been compared in Scripture to sheep, where does that leave us?  Thankful to have a Shepherd!!!  Here's an interesting quote from Kay Arthur in Lord, I Want to Know You:  "Sheep are the dumbest of all animals.  They are helpless, timid, and feeble.  They require constant attention and meticulous care.  Sheep have little means of self-defense.......All the positive maxims in the world can't change the fact that sheep are sheep.  What makes the difference in sheep is the shepherd."

So, if we're like sheep......if we're prone to do dumb things......if we're not perfect.....if we're "helpless, timid and feeble"......how are we going to make it in life? We can make it because the Lord is our Shepherd.  God designed us so that we would see our need of him and that in Him, we would find all that we need.

Let's look closely at a passage of Scripture that will give us greater understanding of this truth.  You're going to get an opportunity today to put into practice some of the study skills you've learned along the way as we have journeyed together.  Turn to John 10:1-17, 26-33.  Read the passage carefully.  As you are reading, look for the following (this is a good time to get our your colored pencils and your notebook!):
  • Look for key repeated words and phrases
  • Look for any contrasts, comparisons, expressions of time
  • Ask yourself the 5Ws/H  (who, what, when, where, why, how)
Make lists of everything you learn about:
  • the sheep
  • the shepherd
  • the thief
  • Jesus
  • the Father
That's quite an assignment, isn't it?  Study well, and remember that we would love for you to share how God is speaking to you and what He is teaching you through the passage we are studying.  You can leave a comment below.

"We are the sheep of His pasture."  (Psalm 100:3)


No comments:

Post a Comment