Monday, July 5, 2010

Will You Join Me?

"If my people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."  (2 Chronicles 7:14)

If you came to this blog this morning expecting to find the next installment of our Bible study on the names of God, I'm going to invite you to come back tomorrow!  Today I'm interrupting our study to share my heart with you on a different subject.

For some time now I have been so burdened about our country.  Now before you write me off as some wacky conservative, let me clarify a few things.  I don't care if you live in a red state or a blue state.  I am not particularly interested in what political label you wear.  You can call yourself Democrat or Republican or Libertarian or Independent......that makes no difference to me.  It's not my issue!  Nor do I care what denominational label you choose to wear.  Again, that is not my issue.  My concern is that I see the country that I love wandering farther and farther away from the standards we have held dear since our founding......farther and farther away from Biblical principles......from doing things God's way.  I believe we are on a slippery slope to destruction.

I've done a lot of reading lately in the Old Testament.  I've seen how the children of Israel wandered away from the commands God gave them.  And I've read about the consequences for that disobedience.  Spend a little time in the Old Testament and you'll see what I mean!  Now I'm not saying that Americans are the "chosen people".  And I'm not saying that every American is a Christian.  But I am saying that this country is in trouble.

We're in deep economic trouble, but I don't believe that the answer to our problems is economic.  Our government is spending money by the truckload - money we don't have, by the way!  But I don't believe the solution is a political one!  We hear a lot about peace talks and the peace process.  But I don't believe that peace is a process.  Peace is a Person, and His name is Jesus!

In addition to my Old Testament reading, I've done a lot of reading about revival,  I've read about the Great Awakenings in our history.  And I believe it's time to be praying for another Great Awakening!  It's time for us to wake up!

I've read recently about the Welsh Revival of 1904-1905......a revival that began with one person!  One article I read gave an interesting statistic......at the time the article was written, the city of Chicago had a population of 9 million people.  The author stated that if God were to move in the city of Chicago in the same way He moved during the Welsh Revival, then 14 million people would be revived!!

I've read about the Fulton Street Revival in New York City in the 1850s.  One man started praying.  More than a million lives were changed!

What would happen today if we would just pray?  This is my burden.  Over and over this last week I am confronted with this thought.  Every day last week I came across this verse at some time during the day....."will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice in You?" (Psalm 85:6).  I'm convinced this is what we need to be praying for......purposefully, intentionally praying for our country, praying for revival.  I'm convinced it's time to take 2 Chronicles 7:14 seriously.  It's time to humble ourselves, seek God's face, turn from our wicked ways and pray.

I found myself wondering how I could make a difference.  If I commit myself to purposeful, intentional praying for my country, will I make a difference?  I began to wonder if that would be enough.  Could one person make a difference?  Even though I knew other great workings of God had begun because one person was obedient to pray, I found myself doubting.  And wondering how to get others to pray with me.  So, today I'm asking you to join me.  If you have read this far, you are at least mildly interested in what this is all about.  Will you join me in purposefully, intentionally praying for our country?  You may choose to pray alone in your home, or you may want to pray with your spouse or with a friend, or to start a prayer group in your neighborhood.  If you live locally to me and would like to get together with me to pray, will you let me know?

Once I had made my commitment to prayer for our country and for revival, I saw a message from Dr. Charles Stanley on this same subject.  Not only did it confirm what I was doing, but it was also such an encouragement to me as well.  He is calling people to prayer for this same purpose!  You can find out more at http://www.intouch.org/.

So, will you join me?  Will you pray?  Together I believe we can make a difference!!

No comments:

Post a Comment