Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Making Lists

Are you a list maker?  I love to make lists!!  I love the satisfaction that comes from having a to-do list and then marking off the things I have accomplished.  In fact, if I do something that's not on my list, I'll probably add it to the list just so I can mark it off!  I know.....that's more than a little wierd!  I think I learned it from my mother.

We're going to be making lists today as we continue our study of Psalm 119.  We're not making to-do lists, but rather are going to revisit the same section of the Psalm that we began observing yesterday and make some lists of the things we observe there.  Then we'll examine those lists to see what we have learned and how it applies to us.

So, get your copy of the Word along with pen or pencil and some paper, and let's get started.  Turn again to Psalm 119:81-112 and prayerfully read those verses.  Here's what I want you to do with that pen and paper:  make two columns and label them "Objective" and "Subjective".  The "objective" list is for the benefits these verses give us about the Word of God.  The "subjective" list is for the psalmist's feelings about the Word.

Are you feeling a bit confused?  Here's an example of what I mean: in the "objective" list you might write "all Your commandments are faithful" (verse 86); in the "subjective" list you might write "the law is the psalmist's delight" (verse 92).  It will be helpful for you to list the verse reference where you find the things you are listing so that when you go back to review your list, or if someone were to ask you about it, you would be able to quickly locate your findings.  (Note:  it is always a good habit as you are studying and noting your insights to note the reference as well.)

Once you've completed this assignment, look over your lists.  How do your feelings compare to the psalmist's?  We know we should "delight in the Word", that it's supposed to be "a joy".  But is that really true for you and me?  Going back to a topic we considered earlier in our study, do we "consistently and continually" delight in the Word?  How is that evidenced in our lives?

Having examined our subjective lists, let's also take a close look at the objective list.  Are there any areas listed where you find yourself struggling to take God at His Word?  Don't rush past this question, but take time to consider it carefully.  Remember the Garden of Eden.  "Ever since the Garden, the adversary has been whispering in our ears, 'Has God said?' and many of us let that sliver of doubt slide in more often than we'd like to admit.  But if we are aware of his tactics we're more able to stand firm." (quoted from Sweeter Than Chocolate - Psalm 119)  So I ask you again - are there any areas where you are struggling?  If so, make that a matter of prayer today.  If you need to do any business with God in any of these areas, don't delay......do it now!  You'll be glad you did!

Thank you for joining me on this journey through Psalm 119, and thanks to Pam Gillaspie for writing the study (Sweeter Than Chocolate - Psalm 119) that inspired and challenged me to dig deeper into this Psalm.

No comments:

Post a Comment