Friday, April 9, 2010

Finishing Out the Week

Can you believe it's Friday already!  I hope you have had a great week!  We're going to wind up our week in Psalm 119 by moving ahead to the yodh stanza, verses 73-80.  Get your copy of the Word and read those verses.  As usual, note the synonyms used for the Word of God and what you learn from this stanza about God's Word.  Also note how the psalmist relates to or responds to the Word.

As you are making your initial observations of this stanza, here are some points for you to consider:
  • What actions does the psalmist attribute to God in these verses?
  • What requests does the psalmist make? 
  • Once again, we see the psalmist refer to his affliction.  Does his view of affliction surprise you?  How does what he says about affliction fit into the context of the Psalm so far?
  • Look closely at verse 77.  What is it that causes te psalmist to live?  The psalmist delights in God's law, meditates on it, and seeks to keep it, but is this what causes him to live, or is it something else?
  • What does the psalmist think is worse than being afflicted?  (See verse 80.)
  • How does this compare to the view of our culture?  Do people in our culture prefer to be afflicted or ashamed?  What does this say about our culture's view of God?
  • Have you learned anything new about the psalmist in this stanza, or is there anything about him that particularly impresses you here?  Have you found any attitudes or actions of the psalmist that you might want in your own life?
  • Finally, what do you learn about God in this stanza?
As we close out our week together, I have one little item of "housekeeping" to deal with.  It has come to my attention that I am not getting any of your comments.  I've checked into this, and it seems that I am not the only blogger who has this issue.  Apparently this is caused by the fact that I changed the template for the blog, which I did shortly after we began this study together, so I think I may have missed a lot of your comments.  There is a "fix" for the problem, but so far it hasn't fixed anything!!  So.......until I can get this issue resolved, if you have a comment to make, an insight you want to share, a question to ask, whatever....just leave that comment on my Facebook page where there is always a link to this blog.  If we haven't yet become Facebook "friends", just send a friend request and I'll accept it!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and I'll meet you back here on Monday.  Thank you so much for joining me on this journey through Psalm 119.  You truly are such a blessing to me!!


"Now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the LORD's commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today for your good?"  (Deuteronomy 10:12-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment