Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Making a Choice

Today is one of those days when it is obvious I am not planning to leave the house and am not expecting any guests!  It's a cold morning up here on the mountain (low 30s and it's almost May!!  Yikes!!).  This morning I am wearing a hot pink sweater with some purple sweat pants, accompanied by some black socks with orange leaves on them.  If that sounds in any way to you like it goes together......trust me, it doesn't!  But I'm warm!!  What does that have to do with Psalm 119?  I hear you asking that question!!!!  Think about it this way.......I'm sure you will agree with me that what I have described to you sounds at the very least like a rather disjointed "ensemble".  As we think about life in our world in the 21st century, wouldn't you agree that it, too, is rather disjointed?!!  Think about the economy, politics, earthquakes and other disasters, the circumstances of your personal life.  Does thinking about that give you a headache?  Is it not just a bit out of kilter?  Don't we long for some stability and security in our world?  That brings us right back to Psalm 119!

Let's turn our attention to the samekh stanza, Psalm 119:113-120.  Read those verses slowly and deliberately, asking questions of the text as you read.  By now you are familiar with the synonyms used by the psalmist to refer to God's Word.   As you come across all those words for the Word, what do you learn from these verses about the Word of God?  One of the things that jumped out at me as I read is verse 116...."Sustain me according to Your word, that I may live; and do not let me be ashamed of my hope."  It's the word "hope" that really grabbed me as I read.  Isn't that what we all want, especially when we find ourselves in the middle of some difficult circumstances?

Look again at the way the psalmist begins the stanza.  He has some pretty strong words about those who are "double-minded."  What does it mean to be double-minded?  Are people double-minded today?  (If you have any doubt about that one, just listen to a political speech or watch a news broadcast!!!)  Can you think of other places in Scripture that give us any insight into the double-minded?  Check out these references and see what you can learn.  As you read, consider what causes double-mindedness and think about whether there are any similar situations in your own life.  What lessons do we need to personally apply?  How can knowing and applying these lessons give us security and stability in our lives?
  • James 1:2-8
  • Joshua 24
  • Matthew 6:16-34
  • 1 Kings 18:21 (read the entire chapter to get the full story)
As we close our study time today, read Joshua 24:15 again.  Israel had a choice to make.  So do we. 

"For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."  (Romans 15:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment